Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Sea Island, GA -- Part 2

The first day, we woke up nice and late, got some lunch at the beach club and drove up to Savannah. I didn't have any concept of what it was supposed to be like, so I wasn't able to fully appreciate it. Judging by the murmurs of my more well read friends, however, I'd say it was everything they hoped it could be. My favorite part was the square parks situated in the center of what you would call a round-about which were square shaped. They were nice and shady and contained various monuments to commemorate a miscellany of historical figures, one of which was a large rock honoring Indian Chief Tomo-Chi-Chi.

After a fine dinner, we headed back home to Sea Island and found ourselves in the middle of a sprawling thunderstorm. The rain was warm and steady as was the thunder and lightning. We got back into the house, poured ourselves some drinks, and lined up the rocking chairs on the back porch. Then we sat, listening to the raindrops fall on the house and on the plants outside. I remember thinking how different the world sounded in the rain, so many small noises and drips and shuffles. Every 20 or 30 seconds, a streak of lightning would shoot within the clouds and light up the entire marsh before us. In an instant, we would go from seeing 10 feet of backyard lawn and trees to miles of water and lush grass. Every so often, the clouds would send a streak of white electricity into the marsh and light up the world with a loud clap of thunder. All the while, we were dry and sheltered, rocking slowly back and forth on our chairs, warm with the slight tropical breeze, enjoying our drinks, the view, and the good company. I don't think I've ever been so content in years. It's little wonder that it became the defining moment of our trip for everyone -- an experience we wouldn't soon forget.

The next day, we went out for a morning horseback ride along the beach. You can guess that this was my idea. Some get post cards wherever they travel, some buy souvenirs, I ride horses. I was planning to go myself, but everyone seemed to like the idea so everyone signed on, including Will who's love for horses knows no bounds (he despises animals). As soon as we arrived, it was immediately apparent which horse belonged to Will -- the gigantic Clydesdale. When all 6'7" of him was finally mounted on his gigantic steed, I swear the only thing he was missing was a battle axe and plate armor. The ride itself was okay. I was hoping to canter along the beach, but the group was a bit too large and novice to really handle even a trot, so I ended up listening one of the guide's riding stories. Still, even walking along the beach was fun and relaxing. Kate seemed to enjoy it. Hawk, unfortunately, is as allergic to horses as I am. Seeing him after the ride, I understood what I must have looked like after my first ride, all puffy-eyed and breaking out into hives. The fact that I came out of that wanting to ride more make me wonder if I'm crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment